Friday 2 October 2015

Sketchbook development into woven textiles

When I thought about developing my sketchbook, I was careful not to forget my initial research and always make sure my drawing and photos are relevant and have purpose to my project. I decided to look at insects because they had similar shape and structure as the costume designs I researched previously, they was a direct link between them and my visit to the V&A museum earlier this summer. Because of this i choose to study things that made me uncomfortable, things that aren't classically beautiful, odd shapes and dark colours.



I wanted to investigate the ugly and creepy animals, of the natural world and create textiles that make you feel something when you look at it, view it for yourself in person that is when you can finally understand and study it in its entirety, Literary fantasy and drama within textiles. It is an ambitious idea that I am excited and to try and experiment with. Freely sketching like this is truly enjoyable, I don't spend hours on my drawings as I feel comfortable in making my mistakes a part of my drawings, I didn't always used to be this way when I was still at school, i could not stand to have a single line out of place or a mistake on the page. After growing up and learning a lot of different things both in my practise and in life I actually enjoy drawing a lot more now than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment