Monday 19 October 2015

Fancy yarns

Through artist research I started to think about alternative 'fancy yarns' to use in my weaving. There are many usual and exciting yarns that react with sun light, water and even heat.

I ordered a small sample collection of 1 meter coloured coils (0.50mm) and a sample pack of silver plated coils in a range of sizes (0.40mm - 1.25mm) from the scientific wire company found at wires.co.uk. A UK based seller with a large variety of wire for craft. I ordered this on the 3rd of October. I received an email confirmation of shipping on the 5th of October  and received the order on the 8th October. Costing £10.33 including shipping.

It took just under a week for it to arrive. Very good service, nice packaging. I was slightly hesitant about ordering as I hadn't ordered from this website before and I am always unsure about ordering from an unknown company, this was of course before I had discussed this with other course mates and technicians and found that it is a very well used company especially for bulk orders.
I also ordered a cone of monofilament black 682 from uppingham yarns. Ordered on the 2nd of October shipped on the 6th and I received it on the 9th. It was more expensive to order from this company than wires.co.uk. I felt like the £3.00 for the cone was reasonable but the £4.00 I spent on shipping felt was a little too expensive considering that I ordered one cone, comparison to the wire company.

No comments:

Post a Comment