Tuesday 27 October 2015

Hand-in and Group Tutorials

On the 23rd of October I had an "Informal" hand-in with both my tutors this past Friday. I was looking forward to talking about my work because although I was excited about my work I was feeling a little lost after finishing my box loom samples. In a small group of 3 people, we all when around discussing our ideas and showing samples and research into our projects with helpful advise and discussion of our work by peers and staff after each presentation. I was given good feedback on my research and sketchbook studies, with particular interest in my box loom samples, but advised to find a focus in (under the umbrella) of shape. Intially I wanted to shape in textiles which is a big area to study, but what I hadn't yet done was state (in my proposal) a clear pathway into the topic. 

After thinking about for a while I realised that the work I had one common factor or focus that I had not yet put together. Which is texture. All of my drawings, research and samples had this in common, now I have switched my focus to creating shape using texture and aiming to create dimensional textiles using interesting structures like honeycomb and explore more into ideas using more fancy yarns in interesting ways. I also have come across some really good books, to have a look at, such as 

Collapse Weave by Anne Field, Weaving Textiles That Shape Themselves by Ann Richards and

Magical materials to weave by Lotte dalgaard. I also have to remember that every so often its a good itdea to lay all of my work out in front of me to really be able to self evaluate my work. (I own none of these images) 


No comments:

Post a Comment