Wednesday 20 January 2016

Large scale weaving

I wound this warp 1.80 meters long by 48 cm wide. I wanted large samples but not so many just in case I wasn't happy with them so I plan to weave only two samples on this particular warp. With cotton as the warp, and a mixed weft of wool and cotton, to use my knowledge of the collapse weave stuff I did in the previous unit. (As most weavers would say) there is something very satisfying about weaving a bigger piece of fabric. Perhaps its just my course.. but we are conditioned on the first year to weave sample no more than 12 cm wide..which is understanding as we were still learning but, in the later part of the 2nd year is when you finally get to weave a really chunky large production piece. But, with a larger warp means that it takes me more time to set up and thread the shafts on my loom. I got there in the and I think the samples are okay.. but they are not quite where I want them to be. I will be doing some research later this week and I will hopefully be able to finalizing my context and what I wish to make at the end of this unit. I used a 16 shaft dobby loom for all of my sample work.

(I finally managed to get a photo of the cone winding machine as the yarn tends to get caught but I did it!) These are of course down below.






No comments:

Post a Comment