Sunday 27 September 2015

Literature, Villains and film

With my sketchbook going well I was able to take a break and revisit my research. I had recently come across one of my faveourite books, The lion, the witch and the wardrobe by C.S Lewis. (Although my copy isn't as pretty as this image) after reading it for the 50th time, I had a light bulb moment the white witch in storybook was a very savage beauty, this was idea that follow onto other characters such as maleficent and snow white's evil queen, they were all extremely beautiful and savage. And all of them came from books of the same fantasy genre. In relation to my research I was thinking about the similarities between them as well different versions of there characters over time. Recently these characters have been adapted for film and TV.
Reading about these character is exciting and seeing now how Hollywood and Disney have adapted them from paper to film is an interesting area to explore. I began to rather my research and discovered that it was the costume of each character that made it clear who they were, status and personality. Now i am studying the design of the costumes, the shape, texture and materials. My textiles can now more forward as i look at the designers behind the costumes in film and TV adaptions and inform me in this exploratory unit. (None of the images belong to me, no copyright infringement intended)

No comments:

Post a Comment